D850: The voice of Brad Hill

Démarré par Fogger, Septembre 15, 2017, 10:05:32

« précédent - suivant »

Fogger

I'm "rushing" this blog entry out after shooting with the Nikon D850 for only 3 days and primarily to stem the email avalanche I'm getting about the camera! During these 3 days I've shot a little over 2,000 raw images. I've done a mix of methodical testing (mostly ISO performance testing) and "just shooting" in scenarios that put several aspects of the camera's capabilities (such as AF performance) to informal tests. You know, things like shooting a running Portuguese Water Dog, et cetera! Most everything I touch on below will be discussed in much more detail (and often with example images) in future blog entries. My NEXT blog entry will go into WAY MORE detail on one aspect of ISO performance, specifically documenting how visible noise changes with increasing ISO (and it will include comparisons to the D500, D800e, and D5).

Note that my D850 arrived without the MB-D18 Battery Grip (they aren't shipping in Canada yet) so SOME of my D850 testing will be delayed until the grip arrives. This includes things like examining the lowest shutter speeds that long telephotos can be hand-held at (compared to other lower-resolution cameras such as the D5) where use of the battery grips makes for more of an "apples-to-apples" comparison.

So...with no further ado:

OVERALL ONE-SENTENCE SUMMARY: The Nikon D850 is an EXCEPTIONAL high-resolution, low-ISO DSLR.

Some specifics:

1. Exceptional tonal range and "drop dead" fantastic overall image quality at low ISO's (ISO 64 to about ISO 250). After just over 2,000 shots over a range of conditions (and ISO values) there is no doubt in my mind that this is a superb landscape camera that exceeds the image quality of the D800e and/or D810 by a significant margin. I haven't tested (or have any way to test) dynamic range directly, but it seems exceptional at low ISO's (it seems almost impossible to blow out a highlight!). But note that this is a fully SUBJECTIVE statement based only on my experience (and years of looking critically at images). Based on what I am seeing I suspect low ISO dynamic range will prove to be very high on the D850 (as will tonal range and colour depth at low ISO's).

2. Autofocus: Exactly as advertised - D5 quality (so a step above D500 quality in almost all ways EXCEPT in viewfinder coverage). I am a huge fan of the 9-point Dynamic Area mode that is found on the D5 (but NOT on the D500) and it works just as well on the D850 as it does on the D5. Exceptionally high "hit rates" on moving subjects (similar to what you'd get with the D5). At this point the more demanding sensor of the D850 (compared to the D5) does not seem to be causing the AF system to even hiccup (this was a concern I had but had not previously discussed online).

3. Mirror blackout - and between-frame image stability (within bursts). These are both functions of the mirror driving system and the D5 beats the D500 noticeably here (and both the D5 and D500 had "new" mirror-drive systems when they were introduced). The D850? Seems as good - or very close to as good - as the D5 (I think it's possible they used the same new mirror driving system as the D5). Not many folks comment on this feature, but it does make a pretty big real-world difference when shooting action. Despite the slower frame rate, the D850 "feels" like the D5 (and better than the D500) when shooting action.

4. Burst Rate: NOT exactly as advertised. All Nikon literature has really said is: "Despite the heavy load, the camera is capable of continuous shooting for up to 51 frames (body alone) even in a 14-bit lossless compressed RAW" (presumably at fastest frame rate?). What have I found when shooting full-size 14-bit uncompressed raw files? When using a Lexar Professional XQD 2933x card (440 MB/s) I get approx 40 shots at 7 fps before the camera slows to about 3 fps. But it then chugs along at that rate almost indefinitely. BUT...when using a Lexar Professional 2000x SD card (UHS-II and 300 MB/s) I get about 24 shots at 7 fps before slowdown to 3 fps (and then it chugs along for as many frames as you want). So...I'm getting MORE than 51 raw images per burst, but NOT at the maximum frame rate during the entire burst (even when using the fastest XQD card currently available). Hmmm...

What about 20 frame bursts - how many of those (with about a 1 second gap between them) can you do? This tends to be how I (and I think a lot of photographers) shoot action - repeated bursts separated by a second or two. Here's what I'm getting:

A. With XQD card (same card as described above): I get two 20-frame bursts at 7 fps and THEN it slows down (to about 3 fps) just a few frames into the 3rd burst.

B. With fast UHS-II SD card (same card as described above): Just ONE 20-frame burst  [at]  7 fps and then it slows right down (to about 3 fps) a few frames into 2nd burst.

So...burst rate is probably adequate for most uses and most users...but some sports shooters and bird-in-flight types might not be too happy with it. And...those concerned about burst depth and shooting repeated bursts should get and use a fast XQD card.

5. ISO performance? BELOW my expectations (which were conservative).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Expanding on this topic - including giving comparative samples of the images upon which the following statements are made - is the entire focus of my next D850 blog entry. In that entry I will disclose all the gory details of my testing. And note that these comments are based upon viewing RAW images, not in-camera JPEG's.

OK...In judging ONLY visible noise (not dynamic range or colour depth) in raw files, the D850 does not match the D800e, D500, or (of course) the D5 in noise characteristics at moderate to high ISO's. Note that at this point I have tested the ISO on all 4 cameras on two very different scene types but got identical results.

How did the D850 actually stack up against the other cameras? Consider a D850 raw image file captured at ISO 3200. At what ISO in the "other" cameras do you see comparable noise?

A. With D500? ISO 3200 to ISO 4000 (so just very slightly better than the D850 - in the 1/3 stop range at most).
B. With D800e? D800e: ISO 4000 and in some shots ISO 5000 (so noticeably better than the D850). Note that the D800e and D810 are virtually identical in this regard.
C. With D5? ISO 8000 to 10,000 (in a class of its own...which isn't at all surprising when you compare the pixel pitch of the cameras being tested).

Another observation was very obvious when I was going cross-eyed looking at all these images - the D850 seems particularly high in luminosity noise.

Another way of looking at ISO performance is examining the ISO where one first can see colour noise or luminosity noise (when viewing raw files at 100% magnification on a 110 ppi monitor). So...

A. When does colour noise first become visible on the various cameras (i.e., at what ISO do you need to begin suppressing colour noise during raw processing if you care about producing noise-free full-resolution images when viewed at 100% magnification)?

• With D850: At ISO 400
• With D500: At ISO 640
• With D800e: At ISO 400
• With D5: At ISO 1000

B. When does luminosity nose first become visible and require suppression?

• With D850: At ISO 400
• With D500: At ISO 640
• With D800e: At ISO 640-800
• With D5: At ISO 1600

Note that SUBJECTIVELY I have noticed already that ISO 3200 shots taken with the D850 when "just shooting" appear quite flat (i.e., with a narrow tonal range) - in a sense quite similar to D500 ISO 3200 shots (and not nearly as appealing tonally as 3200 ISO images taken with a D5).

For me (as a wildlife photographer) the biggest take-home lesson is that the D850 and D500 are exceptionally close in the amount of noise they exhibit at various ISO's (with the D500 having only a VERY small edge over the D850...in the "1/3 stop at most" range). While this may disappoint some (and doesn't come close to matching some of the early and unrealistic marketing "hype" about the D850), I personally think that in an absolute sense the D850 has outstanding ISO performance for a 45.7 MP DSLR.

6. And two other "little" things: Incredibly bright viewfinder (best I've ever seen). AND...battery life (using EN-EL15A) seems great - got over 1800 shots on first battery and was doing a lot of menu stuff, image review, and Live View shooting. You should be able to shoot forever with the EN-EL18b battery in the battery grip!

Stay tuned...my next D850 blog entry will get into the nitty-gritty! And you'll start reading comments about what the ISO performance of the D850 really MEANS in terms of how suitable of a camera the D850 is for wildlife photography (HINT: Don't expect me to proclaim the D850 as the "Best Wildlife Camera Ever!"). ;-)

Cheers...

Brad

Feedback to: feedback [at] naturalart.ca

Link directly to this blog post: http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#NikonD850_FirstImpressions

chdt

valain

danielk

Fogger

Franciscus Corvinus

Je pensais; mais ce que j'en connais me dit qu'un copy-paste n'était pas nécessaire ni souhaitable.

Cela dit pour ce qui est de la rafale, c'est un bon point de vue. Pour ce qui est du bruit il faudra attendre le prochain car il compare les images a 100%, et ca désavantage le D850 de maniere assez importante.

Bernard2

Citation de: Franciscus Corvinus le Septembre 15, 2017, 18:27:16
Je pensais; mais ce que j'en connais me dit qu'un copy-paste n'était pas nécessaire ni souhaitable.

Cela dit pour ce qui est de la rafale, c'est un bon point de vue. Pour ce qui est du bruit il faudra attendre le prochain car il compare les images a 100%, et ca désavantage le D850 de maniere assez importante.
Absolument.
Constater que le D5 est le top en bruit vs le D850 et image à 100% alors que, à résolution égale,le premier délivre une image de 1,20m de base et l'autre 2,20m...c'est comparer des pommes et des carottes ;)

JMS

Pour les comparaisons de bruit il faut toujours les faire à taille de tirage équivalent sinon je peux vous démontrer qu'à 100% écran mes NEF de Dh1s sont plus propres que ceux du D850...enfin, presque...

C'est facile à comprendre quand même par rapport au sacro saint 100% écran : si on agrandit un fichier de D5 à la taille d'un fichier de D850, on agrandit les traces de bruit et de surcroît ont s'aperçoit que les micro détails ne sont pas si précis que çà...a contrario si on réduit le fichier du D850 à 20 Mpxl les taches de bruit seront plus petites et par la magie de l'interpolation bicubique les détails fins seront soulignés.

chdt

"During these 3 days I've shot a little over 2,000 raw images."

Mais pas une image à montrer.
D'où le titre, the "voice" of Brad Hill
et pas, the samples of Brad Hill ;D

big jim

Citation de: chdt le Septembre 15, 2017, 19:59:14
"During these 3 days I've shot a little over 2,000 raw images."

Mais pas une image à montrer.
D'où le titre, the "voice" of Brad Hill
et pas, the samples of Brad Hill ;D

Je te trouve bien moqueur... Pas vu une de tes œuvres sur le forum, par contre  ;)
En tout cas, et même si on peut toujours critiquer tel ou tel parti pris, Brad Hill fait l'effort de rédiger des retours de prise en main très fouillés, avec tests à l'appui, qui sont très appréciés par les photographes qui font de l'animalier.
Ne t'inquiète donc pas, les photos viendront. En attendant, va te balader sur son site, tu verras un aperçu de sa production...

ricoco

personnellement, je lis diverses sources / forum sur internet

ça ne sera pas la première fois que je vois des personnes s'amuser à déconner plein tube / casser  / provoquer et sur d'autre forum se vanter d'avoir fait si et ça, notemment ici entre autre

Fogger

Citation de: Franciscus Corvinus le Septembre 15, 2017, 18:27:16

Francis, son blog sera certainement alimenté, d'ici un mois ou plus, il y a de grande chance qu'il faille descendre l'ascenseur de cinq ou dix étages pour retrouver cette note.
Par contre je ne comprends pas le "pas nécessaire ni souhaitable"

Je suis certains que beaucoup n'ont même pas fait l'effort de descendre l'ascenseur pour y lire sa première note sur le D850.

En ce qui concerne la sensibilité, j'ai pas du tout la même lecture que vous et je ne le crois pas plus stupide ou ignorant qu'un autre.

"my next D850 blog entry will get into the nitty-gritty!" a suivre

Franciscus Corvinus

Les bloggers sont encouragés par le traffic sur leur site. Si tu copy-paste, tu les prives de leur motivation. C'est ca qui n'est pas souhaitable dans ce cas: je trouve que cet article est pertinent et intéressant, donc j'aurais plutot tendance a encourager l'auteur.

Fogger

Je comprends.
Faut aller lire sont première article sur le D850 alors. ;)
http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#NikonD850_FirstImpressions
26 aout 2017. 8)

Franciscus Corvinus

J'ai la flemme de cliquer. Tu veux pas le copier plutot?  ;D

JMS

Citation de: big jim le Septembre 15, 2017, 20:29:55

En tout cas, et même si on peut toujours critiquer tel ou tel parti pris, Brad Hill ...

J'ai toujours préféré Phil Hill, Graham Hill et Damon Hill... ;)

Ah bon, nous ne sommes plus vendredi ?  ;D ;D ;D

Fogger

Fogger

Citation de: JMS le Septembre 16, 2017, 12:57:11
J'ai toujours préféré Phil Hill, Graham Hill et Damon Hill... ;)

Ah bon, nous ne sommes plus vendredi ?  ;D ;D ;D

Il manque Heaven Hill :P

Verso92

danielk

Aaron Hill Ce lien renvoie vers une page d'homonymie
    Alfred Hill (1869-1960), compositeur et chef d'orchestre néo-zélandais ;
    Ambrose Powell Hill (1825-1865), général confédéré durant la guerre civile américaine ;
    Amy Hill (née en 1953), actrice américaine ;
    Andrew Hill (1931-2007), pianiste et compositeur de jazz ;
    Angela Hill (née en 1988), pratiquante de MMA américaine ;
    Archibald Vivian Hill (1886-1977), physiologiste britannique, lauréat du Prix Nobel ;
    Armond Hill (né en 1953), joueur et entraîneur de basket-ball américain ;
    Arthur William Hill (1875-1941), botaniste britannique ;
    Augie Hill (né en 1985), patineur artistique américain ;
    Benjamín G. Hill (en) (1874-1920), général pendant la Révolution mexicaine ;
    Benny Hill (1924-1992), humoriste britannique ;
    Bernard Hill (né en 1944), acteur britannique ;
    Burton Maxwell Hill (1883-1948), homme politique canadien ;
    Carl Fredrik Hill (1849-1911), peintre et dessinateur suédois ;
    Charlie Hill (1951-2013), acteur et humoriste américain ;
    Chris Hill (né en 1975), triathlète australien ;
    Chris Hill (né en 1983), basketteur américain ;
    Christopher Hill (historien) (de) (1912-2003), historien britannique ;
    Christopher Hill (né en 1950), diplomate américain ;
    Christopher T. Hill (né en 1951), physicien américain ;
    Clarence Hill (né en 1951), boxeur bermudien ;
    Damon Hill (né en 1960), pilote automobile britannique ;
    Dan Hill (en) (né en 1954), chanteur et compositeur canadien ;
    Dana Hill (1964-1996), actrice et chanteuse américaine ;
    Daniel Harvey Hill (1821–1889), général américain ;
    Danny Hill (1974-), footballeur anglais ;
    David Octavius Hill (1802-1870), photographe écossais ;
    Declan Hill, journaliste canadien ;
    Dorothy Hill (1907-1997), géologue, zoologiste, paléontologiste australienne ;
    Dulé Hill (né en 1975), acteur américain ;
    Eustace St Clair Hill (1873-1953), aumônier militaire anglican devenu moine catholique.
    Faith Hill, chanteuse américaine ;
    Fanny Hill, personnage de fiction ;
    Francis William Clegg-Hill, 5e vicomte Hill (1866-1924) ;
    Frank Hill, joueur de rugby à XV gallois ;
    Gary Hill (né en 1951), artiste américain ;
    George Hill Ce lien renvoie vers une page d'homonymie
    George William Hill (1838-1914), mathématicien et astronome américain ;
    George William Hill (1862-1934), sculpteur québécois ;
    Gilbert R. Hill (1931-2016), homme politique, policier et acteur américain ;
    Graham Hill (1929-1975), pilote automobile britannique ;
    Grant Hill (né en 1972), joueur de basket-ball américain ;
    Grant Hill (né en 1976), joueur de rugby à XV néo-zélandais,
    Grant Hill, producteur de cinéma australien ;
    Harry Hill (né en 1964), présentateur de télévision britannique ;
    Herbert Hill (né en 1984), basketteur américain ;
    Ian Hill (né en 1951), bassiste britannique ;
    Jimmy Hill (1928-2015), footballeur anglais ;
    Jody Hill (1976-), réalisateur américain ;
    Joe Hill Ce lien renvoie vers une page d'homonymie
    John Hill, joueur de rugby à XV australien ;
    John E. Hill, zoologiste ;
    John Hill (né en 1950), footballeur néo-zélandais ;
    Jordan Hill (né en 1987), joueur de basket-ball américain ;
    Jordan Hill (né en 1989), joueur de hockey sur glace canadien ;
    Keith Hill (né en 1970), joueur de basket-ball américain ;
    Ken Hill (né en 1965), joueur de baseball américain ;
    Kent Hill (né en 1965), joueur de basket-ball américain ;
    Lawrence Hill (né en 1957), écrivain canadien ;
    Lauryn Hill (née en 1975), chanteuse de hip hop américaine ;
    Lynn Hill (née en 1961), grimpeuse américaine ;
    Marianna Hill (née en 1941), actrice américaine ;
    Matt Hill (né en 1968), acteur canadien ;
    Melanie Hill (née en 1962), actrice britannique ;
    Michael Hill (né en 1974), joueur de tennis australien ;
    Napoleon Hill, 1883-1970), auteur du livre Pensez et devenez riche (« Think and grow rich ») ;
    Phelan Hill (né en 1979), rameur britannique ;
    Phil Hill (1927-2008), pilote automobile américain ;
    Reginald Hill (1936-2012), auteur de romans policiers britannique ;
    Rina Hill (née en 1969), triathlète australienne ;
    Robert Hill Ce lien renvoie vers une page d'homonymie
    Rowland Hill Ce lien renvoie vers une page d'homonymie
    Russell Hill (né en 1935), écrivain américain, auteur de roman policier ;
    Ryan Hill (né en 1990), athlète américain ;
    Sinclair Hill (1894-1945), réalisateur, scénariste, producteur et acteur britannique ;
    Susan Hill (née en 1942), romancière anglaise ;
    Tayler Hill (née en 1990), joueuse de basket-ball américaine ;
    Terence Hill (né en 1939), alias Mario Girotti, acteur italien ;
    Thomas Hill (né en 1949), athlète américain ;
    Thomas George Hill (1876-1954), botaniste britannique ;
    Tyrone Hill (né en 1968), joueur de basket-ball américain ;
    Walter Hill (né en 1942), réalisateur et scénariste américain.

merci Wikipédia !!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Franciscus Corvinus

philou53

...et Mimi MatHill !  ;D

I'm going out now...
Pour vous tenir compagnie...

big jim

N'en faites pas non plus une montagne   ;D

Fogger

18 septembre

Prochain test "Rainforest..."
http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#NikonD850_FirstImpressions

J'ai hâte, mais j'ai déjà une idée au vu de ce qu'il sort a 22800 iso.

kochka

Technophile Père Siffleur